pregnancy

Monday, November 17, 2008

Changing OBs

I am a seeker of comfort and nice things. I hate, hate inconveniences and would gladly shell out more money for more comfort. Just like taking a cab instead of transferring jeeps, or buying at nearby Rustan's Fresh (which is a bit more expensive), rather than walk the long way to Landmark, which is way tiring and inconvenient.

Hence, making Makati Medical Center my hospital of choice for my OB Check ups, and eventually the birth of bebi Pacua. I can walk to MMC from the apartment and from the office. I've met my OB before when I had some problems with irregular periods extreme cramps (and... she was Kiel's OB when she had Gael!). Plus, I intend to work up to the time I that I will give birth, making Makati a good location.

BUT - the pending expense at MMC makes my skin crawl. My monthly OB check up costs P600.00 a pop. And just to project the future expenses... normal birth at MMC will cost P40,000 +++ (you could just imagine how much more the +++ will cost hehe) . And 4ok not even buys you a private room - it's semi private with no restroom inside. If you want a private room (which I really prefer!) -- it's P80,000 plus plus plus. Golly. I sure hope I go normal, I didn't even ask how much a C-section is.

Keep in mind, I don't have a health card right now :-( Ayaw ko naman sa V Luna manganak, a lot of discouraging stories there!

OB says I can save around 20K if I don't use epidural anesthesia -- but I really want to keep that option open JUST IN CASE I couldn't bear it anymore.

My mom recommended that I consider giving birth in a provincial hospital in Laguna - The Binan Doctor's Hospital, which is around 15 minutes away from our Laguna house. It's a private hospital - and although smaller and older and super less "sosy" than MMC - they do have good doctors plus complete and clean facilities.

I've been to BDH before... maybe twice in the emergency room whenever I get severe allergic reactions and need a nebulizer (promise mas mabilis pa nga sila kesa sa MMC na kailangan mamamatay ka na bago ka bigyang pansin sa ER) . And yup, I will consider it!

I went to the new OB yesterday (she has "working mom" schedules. 5-7pm Mondays-Saturdays and 1-3PM Sundays) and was shocked at the whopping 26 patients in line! Fortunately my mom called ahead so I was number 16 - and more people also quit waiting so I ended up at number 9. I had an OK waiting time, amused by the couple beside me who brought their newborn baby boy with them!

My new OB was a UP med school graduate, and she was also young and I immediately felt comfortable with her. AND HEAR THIS:

P200.00 ang consultation fee ng OB sa Binan. And normal birth at BDH is P20,000.00 , and private room is additional P5,000.00! Shucks, sa isang birth sa MMC, nakadalwang anak ka na sa BDH!

Epidural will cost an additional 7-10K. C-section package price is 30K.

Anak -- Sa Binan ka lalabas ha? Wag sa Makati! Tapos normal ha? Promise, mas maganda ang gamit mo Binan ka lumabas ;-)

1 comment:

mommy kiel said...

hihihi...
o di ba, si Gael nga nun, libre ang OB, (lumipat ako ng OB nung naging ultra-sensitive ang pregnancy ko, yung great uncle ko ang naging OB ko, kasi gusto nila papa all within the family)...pero umabot kami ng 110k sa hospital bills, CS, private room, at year 2005 pa yan :p

basta comfortable ka sa OB mo at sa hospital, go!!! wala naman sa price tag yan e... and i agree, bebi pacua, wag kang pasaway, mas maganda gift mo sakin pag sinunod mo si mommy mo at sa binan ka pinanganak :) at hintayin mo si popi sam ha, wag ka lalabas kagad :)

baby